Are you a victim of identity theft?

Theft of your personal information can be used to create fake identity documents in your name. It can also be used to apply for real identity documents in your name, but with another person’s photograph. 

Contact information is commonly sold on the dark web, on a per-line basis at $1 US per line. Each line contains a name, a full address, a date of birth, and so on. Criminals need to purchase only a few lines to commit identity fraud.

Suggested actions to take:

  1. Report the matter to your local police. Ask for a police report or reference number so you have evidence that you reported the issue.
  2. Inform the agency or organisation that issued your identity document.
  3. Contact your bank or financial institution and tell them what happened.
  4. Change your account passwords and close any unauthorised accounts.
  5. Contact IDCARE. IDCARE is Australia’s national identity and cyber support service. They can connect you with a specialist identity and cyber security counsellor for expert advice.
  6. Request a copy of your credit report to check its accuracy (you are entitled to a free credit report every year). This report will also show you which organisations have recently checked your credit history, so you can advise them not to authorise a new account in your name. Find out more about accessing your credit report.
  7. Consider contacting credit reporting bodies to place a ban period on your credit report This means they will not be able to share your credit report with credit providers without your consent for 21 days (unless extended). The credit reporting bodies in Australia are:

    a) Equifax — Phone: 138 332
    b) illion (formerly Dun & Bradstreet) — Phone: 13 23 33
    c) Experian — Phone: (03) 8622 1600 or email:
    d) Compuscan Australia — Phone: 02 8404 4217
    e) Tasmanian Collection Service — If you live in Tasmania, Australia, phone your nearest office location or email
  8. Apply for a Commonwealth victims’ certificate. This certificate helps support your claim that you have been the victim of a Commonwealth identity crime. You can present the certificate to government agencies or businesses to re-establish your credentials or remove fraudulent transactions from their records. Read more on the Australian Federal Police's website here:
  9. You can contact the Australian Cybercrime Online Reporting Network (ACORN) to securely report instances of cybercrime. You will receive a reference number for the report. ACORN is a national policing initiative of the Commonwealth, State, and Territory governments.
Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.

Still need help? Contact Us Contact Us